Let the TBA help you spread the word through its email list serve to its 600+ members.
Below are the current career postings:
City of Topeka (KS)
As a member of the City of Topeka’s executive management team, the City Attorney is responsible for management of the Legal Department, including Prosecution and Litigation. The City Attorney has overall responsibility for personnel management, departmental budgeting, long and short term planning and oversight of daily operations of the department. Duties include preparation and presentation of information and advice relating to city government operations to City Administration and the City Council. This is a Department Director position and the incumbent serves at the pleasure of the City Manager. Salary is between $77, 613 and $117,672, DOQ.
Minimum qualifications: Juris Doctorate, license to practice law in the State of Kansas, five years of professional law practice with supervisory experience. Must be a resident of Shawnee County or relocate upon completion of the probationary period.
The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
1. A thorough knowledge of municipal, state and federal laws, and court and administrative procedures. Experience in advising a governmental body and working in a City Attorney’s office is preferred.
2. Extensive experience working with people at all levels of an organization and the ability to develop, manage, and maintain plans, programs, and people.
3. Managing complex and varied issues and being able to articulate those issues in a simple manner in a public forum.
4. Ability to problem solve by using logic and common sense while maintaining flexibility and openness to new ideas for changing work situations.
5. A confident public speaker who can remain calm under pressure.
6. Ability to encourage and facilitate cooperation and open communication that promotes teamwork and fosters respect for staff at all levels.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and City of Topeka employment application to the City of Topeka Human Resources Department.
Electronic employment application available at www.topeka.org/jobs.shtml
Group Counsel – Contracts and Retail Law
Payless ShoeSource is excited to announce an opening for a Group Counsel – Contracts and Retail Law to join our in-house corporate legal team at our world headquarters in Topeka, KS! This position reports to the Division Senior Vice President – General Counsel and will have responsibility for providing legal services to the corporation in the areas of retail law (e.g., leases, factory contracts, landlord disputes, agent agreements, and sourcing issues) and contract negotiations (e.g., complex commercial agreements and information technology agreements).
Included are a variety of complex retail law and contracts issues related to advising the business. Issues include data security, indemnification, privacy, intellectual property rights, insurance, usage, and pricing. The position requires experience negotiating and drafting complex deals and providing real time advice to the business to address issues. The Group Counsel-Retail Law & Contracts will closely interact with internal clients by providing timely legal advice and solutions on a wide variety of matters. This individual will also manage outside counsel relationships as appropriate. In addition, this position will also be responsible for leading a staff including an attorney and support staff. The Group Counsel-Retail Law & Contracts will also perform any and all other duties as assigned.
Exceptional organization skills which facilitate the effective management of several tasks at once, as well as superior analytical ability.
Interested and qualified candidates may apply by using the following link: https://payless.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2qvvea8f2r7
Full-Time Associate Attorney Position
With Bennett and Hendrix, LLP in Topeka. Position prominently is a criminal and administrative law practice.
KANSAS JUDICIAL BRANCH
NOTICE OF EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Date: April 9, 2015
Location of Employment: Office of Judicial Administration
Kansas Judicial Center
301 W. 10th St.
Classification and Grade: Staff Attorney, Office of Judicial Administration
Grade 31, $57,531 starting annual salary
The Kansas Judicial Branch seeks a Kansas-licensed attorney with at least two years' experience who has excellent research, writing, and organizational skills, and is able to multitask and to collaborate with and take direction from others. Duties of this position include:
· providing legal advice and assistance to judicial branch officers and employees;
· drafting, editing, and reviewing contracts, letters, policies, rules, manuals and other documents;
· providing representation in administrative hearings and court proceedings;
· working on employment law issues and open records requests;
· assisting with training judges, court managers, and staff;
· helping facilitate public communication by e-mail, through the judicial branch websites, and through news media;
· overseeing and managing projects; and
· analyzing and applying laws and rules.
Experience or background in education and public communication would be advantageous.
· degree from accredited law school
· two years’ practice as an attorney
· Kansas law license
· experience working within and leading a team
Send resume, Judicial Branch application, and examples of writing you have done for legal and lay audiences to:
Deputy Judicial Administrator
Office of Judicial Administration
Kansas Judicial Center
301 W. 10th St., Room 337
Topeka, KS 66612-1507
Judicial Branch Application: http://www.kscourts.org/pdf/application.pdf
Application Deadline: May 7, 2015
The Americans with Disabilities Act ensures your right to reasonable accommodations during the employment process. A request for an accommodation will not affect your opportunities for employment with the Judicial Branch. It is your responsibility to make your needs known to the Judicial Branch. Please contact Patricia Henshall at (785) 296-2256 if you need an accommodation.
THE KANSAS JUDICIAL BRANCH IS AN EEO/AA EMPLOYER
Legal Administrative Assistant Position